Thursday, April 30, 2009

How to Survive a Migraine...

"Hello, my name is Emma Lou and I'm a long time migraine sufferer."

Anybody else a member of this exclusive club? Well, I know I would love to revoke my membership! Especially today, as I'm trying to survive finals week and handle one of the worst migraine's I've ever had...

I started getting migraines back in 2006 and have spent the last few years complying a list of helpful ideas on how to survive these random and earth shattering headaches. (Okay, I know I'm being a little dramatic but, if you'd ever had a migraine with an aura so bad that you lose your sight than you'll understand...)

So here's my guide:

How to Survive a Migraine

1. Relax
I repeat: RELAX! Trust me, I know how difficult this is to do but it's very important to stay calm and try to resist the urge to panic. Migraines have a lot to do with blood flow and tension (I'm not going to even try and explain what my Neurologist has told me a million times...) so it's important to try and relax both your mind and body.

2. Take a Shower
My mom and I have found this to be a very important step for two reasons: 1. It helps to relax your body and relieve tension. And 2. If things get bad enough that you have to see your doctor, at least you won't smell! Lol? No, seriously... There have been many a time where I've been sitting in my Dr.'s office wishing I had showered before being rushed over to see her!

3. Eat Simple
Usually when I get a migraine, I completely lose my appetite and feel incredibly nauseous. But unfortunately, in order to take my medication (Step 4), I need to have something in my stomach. So, I've learned that it's very important to eat something simple: toast, wheat thins, rice crispy treat, cereal and fruit are a few of my no-fail simple foods. Also, don't eat anything "aged" or "smoked". There's something about the chemicals in these foods that can trigger and/or make a migraine even worse!

4. Don't wait to take Medication
Here's where people with Chronic Migraines have a little bit of a leg up over people who get Infrequent Migraines: I have prescription medication (Thanks Imitrex!). Now the thing about prescription medication is that it needs to be taken at the first sign of a migraine to be the most effective. For me: As soon as I start to lose my peripheral vision, I know to pop a pill.

5. Sleep
Last, but certainly not least... When you have a migraine, go to sleep! The best thing you can do for your body is lay down and try to fall asleep.

Oh and here's my last piece of advice... If you have a Migraine, never, ever, EVER watch this video... Trust me, it's a bad idea.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a member! Not a happy one, at that. Prescription meds are my rescue. Great guide, especially the last bit.

    ReplyDelete